Top these delicious eggplant steaks with warm couscous and a sprinkle of fresh pomegranate. They taste just as good as they look.
- 300 g eggplant
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 50 g pomegranate
- 20 g greek yoghurt (non-fat)
- 90 g rocket
- 10 g fresh mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g wholemeal couscous
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Slice eggplant into half and season well with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, use paper towel to wipe off excess moisture that has risen to the surface of the eggplant flesh. This will help remove some of the bitterness.
- Score a criss-cross pattern into surface of eggplant, 2/3 way through flesh. Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil onto the flesh of the eggplant.
- Place eggplant onto baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous by placing in bowl with stock. Microwave for 1 minute, or until couscous has soaked up all the liquid. Stir through lemon juice and freshly chopped mint leaves.
- Roll pomegranate on benchtop to loosen seeds. Slice in half. Hold one half over a bowl with seeds facing down and tap skin with the back of a spoon to empty seeds into bowl.
- Serve eggplant with couscous and rocket. Spoon yoghurt onto eggplant and finish with pomegranate seeds.